Re: Numero sign

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Numero sign
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 20:41:54 +0100

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 at 17:46, bobroff@centrum.is <bobroff@centrum.is> wrote:

> Perhaps a bit off-topic but here goes:
>
> I want to use the 'numero' sign.  I can do it in two or three different ways but I have not found a way to get the version/typeface I'm after.  The one I want is the old fashioned style with the curved bulbous serifs on the legs of the N at the lower left and upper right corners.  An example can be seen on the last line of the first paragraph of the Wikipedia article linked below.

Hello,

You need to find a font with this design. Lilypond default font is TeX Gyre Schola (a clone of New Century Schoolbook) and the design is with a "normal" N.
Actually what you see in the Wikipedia article is probably Times New Roman (or Symbola?). You could use this font for the №.
Several fonts supporting this symbol can be found here: https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2116/fontsupport.htm
Click "View All" to see them.

Other (free) fonts with similar design are Source Serif Pro, EB Garamond or Old Standard TT.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source+Serif+Pro?preview.text=%E2%84%96&preview.text_type=custom&category=Serif
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/EB+Garamond?preview.text=%E2%84%96&preview.text_type=custom&category=Serif
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Old+Standard+TT?preview.text=%E2%84%96&preview.text_type=custom&category=Serif

Cheers,