Re: Sending around contexts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Sending around contexts
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 17:37:23 -0500

Hi Valentin,

> Also note that for sending notes between staves
> you probably want to specify the parallel context yourself

So I guess my question is:

What’s the minimum infrastructure (i.e., number of functions, contexts, etc.)
necessary to be able to send “any grob” between “any two contexts”?

In a Perfect World™, the user should simply be able to say

    \send "contextname" { music }

But as you’ve said, we have the "post-event problem". So the next best UI seems
to be

   \send "contextname" musicForHere musicToSend

Does your cond suggestion support this minimal an interfact? For example, can
the function itself figure out what [type of] context the call is coming from,
and what [type of] context the music is being sent to, and automagically add
the correct \new Container or \new Voice or \new Staff or whatever combination
is necessary to make the context switch happen? (If not, I guess multiple
functions is the only answer…)

I really think if we can make some sweet, sweet syntactic sugar for this
procedure, there will be a large number of powerful applications for it.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info