Re: [OpenLilyLib] looking for collaborator(s) on stylesheet package/sys

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [OpenLilyLib] looking for collaborator(s) on stylesheet package/system
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 14:53:20 -0500

Hello again,

I got a few private responses to this post — which were appreciated — but was
really hoping to get a discussion going about how such a system could be
implemented.

Perhaps the word “collaborator(s)” in the subject is too strong and scary?  ;)

To be clear: my “problem” is never about not knowing how to [potentially] solve
a given puzzle. My “problem” is my ability to come up with TOO MANY ways to
[potentially] solve a given puzzle. I’m hoping one or more (!) Excellent Minds™
out there in the ’Pond is willing to help me separate the wheat from the chaff
in my possible approaches/solutions, so that (a) I don’t get paralyzed by the
choices, and (b) there’s an outside chance this project will actually move
forward towards the goal line. Anyone up for such a discussion?

Thanks,
Kieren.

> Hi all,
>
> Now that OLL is settling into its new home, and my own life has settled
> enough
> that I can focus on something other than mere survival, I wanted to revive
> this
> thread, and hopefully move the idea forward significantly in the near future.
>
> The intention of a stylesheet package/system would be to allow a Lilypond
> (or,
> at the very least, OLL) user to apply preset styles to their scores with
> minimal effort. Say I want my piano music to look like mid-20th Century Henle
> Beethoven scores. I want to put something like
>    \include "stylesheets.instrument.solo.piano.Henle.Beethoven.1952"
> in my score and VOILA! it automagically looks like the attached (which I
> generated in Lilypond).
>
> To whatever extent possible:
>
> 1. Stylesheets should handle notation fonts, sizes, tweaks, etc. (a.k.a.
> Every
> Possible Thing™).
>
> 2. Stylesheets should be modular (e.g., one should be able to easily choose
> the
> Peters 1940 choral format, but use a custom text font set).
>
> 3. Stylesheets should be able to include functions, macros, and other “active
> code”.
>
> So…
>
> The first big question [thank you, Urs!] is:
> > How could such a stylesheet system be organized a) in the ways e.g. CSS
> > is organized and how a "publisher" might organize house styles (e.g.
> > aesthetic styles, score types etc.)
>
> I would love to discuss this on-list with anyone who has good ideas to offer,
> even if you’re not keen on being involved in working out the implementation.
>
> Thanks!
> Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info