Re: Possibly silly question but…

From: Hugh S. Myers
Subject: Re: Possibly silly question but…
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 14:17:21 -0700

Close or not close. I'm the major audience, so all that matters is do I like it! That said, I'm a 'serif' kinda guy, so I'd have to agree to disagree about Helvetica ;)

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 8:36 PM David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> wrote:
"Hugh S. Myers" <hsmyers@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been working on a very small piece of LaTex (with musixtex)
> code
> to create scale tablature. I'm using a clef based on fracture
> gothic
> but in comparison, it is a little heavy for my taste and I'd
> like to
> either duplicate the Lilypond TAB clef or similar. Hence my
> question.
> If it is based on a font, which one? If not I'll continue to
> examine
> similar fonts in my collection. I've no idea what you mean by
> 'the
> real question', but this is pretty much it…

Do you need a real duplicate, or just close?

The general style of font you’d be looking for is a chancery
italic, for example TeX Gyre Chorus or something along those
lines. IMO that style - I just mean the idea of using
vertically-set all-caps chancery italic, I’m not blaming any
certain font - is ugly as can be, but it IS what seems to get used
most of the time and therefore what people have come to expect. If
I had my own choice to make it look better, I’d pick a very boring
bold sans-serif like bold Helvetica or whatever, but that’s not
what people are used to.

--
David Rogers