Lining up continuo figures

From: Jon Arnold
Subject: Lining up continuo figures
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 16:11:28 -0500

Hi folks-

Can you help me get these figures lined up vertically? The below example is as close as I've gotten, but I want the 8 in the 2nd figure to be visible. It seems that setting implicitBassFigures within a continuation line doesn't work.

%%% example start
\version "2.21.80"

\new Staff {
  <<
    {
      \time 2/1
      \clef bass
      a1. d2
    }
    \figuremode {
      \bassFigureExtendersOn
      \override Staff.BassFigureContinuation #'stencil = ##f %make lines transparent
      \set Staff.implicitBassFigures = #'(8) %hide the first 8
      <8 [5 3]>4
      \set Staff.implicitBassFigures = #'() %show the second 8
      <[8 4 2]>
      \set Staff.implicitBassFigures = #'(8) %hide the rest of the 8s
      <8 [5 3]> <8 [6 4]> <8 [5 3]>2
      \set Staff.implicitBassFigures = #'() %reset for remainder of score

%%% example end

I could obviously add another row of another implicit figure above everything, but this creates too much space between this staff and the one above.

Thanks for your help!

Jon