Re: newbie: help with Scheme functions

From: Dave Seidel
Subject: Re: newbie: help with Scheme functions
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:00:07 -0400

Thanks, Aaron.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 4:46 PM Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
On 2020-10-18 1:38 pm, Dave Seidel wrote:
> Very cool, thanks! I'm curious -- could aBook and aBookPart have been
> written as a lambda, or is it cleaner to use a void function?

(Re-adding the mailing list on the thread for visibility.)

To get the benefits of LilyPond's Scheme functions, you would need to
use one of the define-*-function family.  Since it is our intention here
not to return any value, we use the void function.

If you do not need any parameters, you can certainly invoke procedures
like print-book-with-defaults or ly:book-add-bookpart! without wrapping
them in a function.  Though, without parameterization, I would wonder
why you could not just use \book or \bookpart directly.

-- Aaron Hill