Re: Markup in left and right margins

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Re: Markup in left and right margins
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 20:17:23 -0700

Hello Aaron,

Wowsers -- I am dense. That completely makes sense. And it is simple!

Many thanks,
mattfong

On 2020-10-15 6:03 pm, Matthew Fong wrote:
> Many thanks for the solution of translation. I'm toying around with it
> right now, and had a question:
> I am possible misunderstanding the solution, and using the abs-override
> incorrectly. I cannot seem to place a comment string next to the stave.

The code I showed was purely to demonstrate that you *could* move things
outside the margins.  But it was not prescriptive.  In practice, take a
simpler route:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

\paper {
   #(set-paper-size "a6landscape")
   top-margin = 1.5\cm bottom-margin = 3\cm
   left-margin = 2\cm right-margin = 2.5\cm
   indent = 0 ragged-right = ##f
}

loremIpsum =
\markup
   \override #'(baseline-skip . 2.5)
   \smaller \left-column {
     \line { Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, }
     \line { consectetur adipscing elit. }
   }

\markup
   % Collapse dimensions so the \markup takes no space.
   \with-dimensions-from \null

   % Move the \markup further into the left margin.
   \translate #'(-1 . 0)

   % Adjust alignment of \markup to top-right corner.
   \general-align #X #RIGHT
   \general-align #Y #UP

   % The \markup itself.
   \rotate #90 \with-color #red \loremIpsum

% NOTE:
% The \fill-line { \null ... } pattern is useful for
% aligning content to the right margin automatically.

\markup \fill-line { \null
   % Collapse dimensions so the \markup takes no space.
   \with-dimensions-from \null

   % Move the \markup further into the right margin.
   \translate #'(1 . 0)

   % Adjust alignment of \markup to top-left corner.
   \general-align #X #LEFT
   \general-align #Y #UP

   % The \markup itself.
   \rotate #-90 \with-color #blue \loremIpsum
}

\new Staff \fixed c'' {
   c1^\markup \with-color #green \loremIpsum
}
%%%%

Given the above approach, there is no need to mess about with "absolute"
measurements.  Staff space units are generally pretty nice to work with
anyway.

-- Aaron Hill