OLL redux

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: OLL redux
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 17:58:21 +1100

Hello All,

Having made the decision that OLL is worth preserving (thank you all
for your feedback), I have thrown my efforts in to setting it all up
anew, with a principal aim of making it easier to use and better well
known. OLL has languished somewhat in obscurity for a while, only
really utilized by those in the know. I know both Urs and myself want
to see it more widely appreciated and further developed.

As mentioned in an earlier post I will be starting afresh with a new
git project at Gitlab. I will do that over the next few days.

I have created a website for OLL with Wordpress running on my own
virtual Linux Server in Singapore (or is it New York? !) This I
envision as a central hub for OLL activities and information,
especially documentation and tutorial material. Here's the site, in
initial release, with much to do.

https://openlilylib.space/

Please observe the TLD is .space and not .org.

As a further comment., I do a lot of work making websites and mailing
lists as well as engraving 300 page string quartets in lilypond, so I
am contemplating setting up a Discouse server as a forum for OLL
discussion. Discourse supports 95% of what traditional email lists do
in parallel to being a very widely used web forum platform now. I
myself am the one very wary of balkanisation of lilypond development
effort, and I am not entirely happy with setting up a separate world
for OLL, but presently with no sign of OLL becoming integrated into
Lilypond core, I think having an OLL ecosystem independent of the
lilypond-user mailing list is worthwhile. I may be wrong! In any case,
we need it for the documentation.

I am providing the resources at my own expense, but there are costs
such as domain name registration, server hosting. Wordpress bits and
bobs and so on. Not right now, but I may make a polite request on the
OLL website for donations in the future to run the system. Very small
beer amounts.This I only mention as I have complex health issues (a
very rare incurable blood cancer) that forced me out the workforce
some time ago and I no longer have a salary, else I would happily pay
for all this myself. To that extent also, although I don't need
technical help presently with the OLL move, and I do appreciate people
having made kind offers, I will be looking in the medium term to hand
over to other people. Speaking as an IT Enterprise Architect (my
former work) this I term Succession Planning - and it's just as
important as coding and debugging.

Andrew