Re: OLL

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: OLL
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:28:46 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> Like Urs, I get the impression that the effort on OLL is not worth the
> return, as hardly anybody seems to use it and there appears to be
> little interest. This is very disappointing. So, may I ask - it is
> worth me continuing the development and maintenance of OLL?

1. As someone who uses the edition-engraver extensively, and has dabbled with
some of the other functions, it would be a serious blow to my workflow if OLL
disappeared entirely. (Of course, I can continue to use the current code as is,
but you get my point…)

2. For a very long time, I’ve had great intentions of contributing to OLL, but
many and various things have prevented that from happening — in particular, now
that I’ve had to pivot my main work time away from music (mostly to database
programming, ironically!) *and* must co-home-school our two children through
this pandemic, the gap between my intentions and actions has recently become
even wider than it was in the past.

3. The Salzburg event felt, at the time, like a wonderful and overdue
inflection point after which OLL — and the ’Pond in general — would get a great
boost, and finally really take off. It would be a real shame if we let all of
the [not insignificant!] obstacles that have been thrown in our way since then
derail that energy / resurgence / growth.

I honestly don’t know the answer(s) — and as one of those many people who
*haven’t* contributed code to the ecosystem, my opinion probably has very
little weight — but I for one believe that anything you can and are willing to
do to keep OLL moving forward would be met with appreciation (and hopefully
uptake) by a non-trivial portion of the ’Pond.

Best, Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: kieren@kierenmacmillan.info