Re: Note range of a score

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Note range of a score
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 10:26:39 +0100

On 08/10/20 01:47, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Thanks Aaron - that's perfect!
>
> Never had need of that before. A great function.

This requirement is actually quite common for teaching material. It's
been a long time ago, but I remember seeing plenty of pieces for wind
where right at the start there's an indication of the highest and lowest
notes.

It's not that important for strings (and woodwind?) because they depend
primarily on finger position, but for brass learners stick to written
bf, -> e' because they're not that hard to blow. Below that requires
good breath control and above that requires good lip technique. Not
something students typically acquire quickly or easily.

> Andrew
>
> On 8/10/2020 11:22 am, Aaron Hill wrote:
>> Seems like something the Ambitus_engraver would help with.

Cheers,
Wol