Re: What happened to INSTALL.txt?

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: What happened to INSTALL.txt?
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 06:42:52 -0700

What about a README.txt file that says, "Run configure"?

---
Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 9:25 AM H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 09:47:16AM +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 24.07.2020, 15:14 -0700 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> > I pulled lilypond sources from git today, and while trying to figure
> > out a botched configure invocation, I did a git clean -x -f, and now
> > INSTALL.txt doesn't exist anymore...?  I did a fresh git clone from
> > git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git but same thing, INSTALL.txt seems
> > to have gone missing?
>
> INSTALL.txt is not tracked in git, but generated from texinfo sources
> when running ./configure (or ./autogen.sh). For that reason, it was
> removed with git-clean.
[...]

Ah, thanks! That explains it.

Seems to me like kind of a chicken-and-egg problem, though. In order to
build lilypond I need to read INSTALL.txt, but in order to read
INSTALL.txt, I need to build lilypond first...  I ended up googling for
the file on the website and following the steps from there instead.

Тише едешь, дальше будешь.