Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 11:29:15 +0200

Am Montag, den 13.07.2020, 19:02 +1000 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
> Property subset is good.

In a way, yes, namely by keeping within the semantic domain.
However, while a property set actually defines the available properties
(along with predicates and default values) the "preset" is concerned
with *values* for a subset of the property set.

After some thinking I disagree with the notion that preset is wrong in
itself. The thing I'm referring to isn't a wrongly-worded mathematical
set but a set of values to preset (in the ordinary English meaning of
setting in advance) a subset of available properties.

However, I agree that it would be unfortunate to have "set" in such
different meanings in "property set" and "preset".

> I also thought of 'selection' - a set of items selected from a larger
> group.

This has the same issue as the "property subset". What I implemented as
\definePreset is not concerned with defining the subset as a set but
with setting values to specific properties.

Urs