Re: png export resolution

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: png export resolution
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 23:15:29 +0200

On Tue, 14 Apr, 2020 at 08:35, Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@kpnmail.nl> wrote:

Hi,

If I type "lilypond -dhelp" I see "resolution (101)". Do I understand correctly that when using the --png option the default export resolution is 101 dpi? I am sure there is a good reason to have chosen 101 and not 100, or 110?

Don't worry, I know I can change this with the -dresolution option. I was just wondering about that strange value.

Hi Martin

I'm cleaning my inbox and I think nobody replied to your question.

It's not only in -dhelp, this is documented also in the Usage manual.

I've tried looking at git history.
That number changed from 116 to 90 and then 101.

There was a comment explaining that number:

;; at 101.178, a staff space is exactly 7 pixels.
          (resolution 101.178 "resolution for generating bitmaps")

So the purpose would seem to have a "pixel perfect" staff space.