Circles round fingerings

From: Paul McKay
Subject: Circles round fingerings
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 14:16:57 +0100

Hi
I'd like to put a circle round occasional fingering marks. I have tried \circle, but seem to have no control of the resulting thickness nor of the font features. I can find no way to customize the fingering font within the \circle: I always get some error message or other.

I tried \draw-circle, but that's a kludge and I can't make it overlap.

What I'd really like is to set up the fingering font attributes at the Score level so that I don't have to reset them every time I use fingering in a music _expression_. Perhaps that would encourage \circle to use them. In the following example, I'd really like to see a fingering on the e which has a bold red circle around it and properly centred. It would be good if it could handle tweaks to the Y-offset too because the circle might collide with other things.

Thanks
Paul McKay

Example:
\version "2.20.0"

customFingering = {
    \override Fingering.font-name = "Arial Black"
    \override Fingering.font-size = #-1
    \override Fingering.color = #(x11-color "DarkRed")
}
tune = \relative {
    \customFingering
    c'4 d-2  e -\markup {   { \circle \finger  "3" } }
    g-5-\tweak Y-offset 5 -\markup {\center-align \draw-circle #1 #.5 ##f }
}
\score {
    <<
    \time 4/4