Re: Harmonic reduction

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Harmonic reduction
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 19:10:56 +0200

Hi Urs,

The use case is the following: The example I attached shows a few ways
to visualize the harmonic structure of (dodecaphonic) polyphonic music.
But I would like to have this as a kind of live preview when working
out counterpoints (with students). Therefore I don't need an analysis
toolkit like Humdrum. Although: There actually might be tools to
analyze the resulting MIDI files from a LilyPond compilation, and it
would be possible to write a script that takes the Humdrum output to
generate some LilyPond code that is then compiled. Hm, while writing
the previous sentence this looks like an intriguing idea, but it's way
too short for being able to use that on Wednesday :-(

But I think it would be desirable to avoid using MIDI as an intermediate step at all costs: For, as far as I know, MIDI only knows "chromatic" pitches and has no way of distinguishing enharmonic equivalents.

This might be sort-of acceptable for dodecaphonic music (I tend to disagree: Dodecaphonic music has always been written by composers with a strong background in classical diatonic theory, and it should not be taken for granted that they just tossed a coin when deciding on the enharmonic spelling of a given pitch), but it's obviously a no-go for pieces governed by classical tonality.

Moreover, your initial example manifestly exhibits what is known as the "segmentation problem" in many flavours of musical analysis: Which notes are to be grouped together in ordner to obtain a meaningful analysis of harmony/voice leading/etc.?

For instance, it's quite hard to (algorithmically) decide which notes in the attached Chopin are to be considered when analysing "the harmonic progression" of the piece - except of course if you claim (erroneously, I think) that "harmony" only lives in the lower staff here.

As another example, there's the famous bar in the first prelude of the Well-Tempered Clavier (see attachmend) where, for the first (and basically only) time in the piece, squashing all the pitches in a given bar together does not yield a meaningful chord. (And in fact, there is some debate on which pitch should be considered as part of the underlying chord here: Many people say b, but there a strong reasons to instead consider the c as a chord tone instead, hence regarding the harmony as a 43 instead of a 642.)

Also, Schönberg gave (in his Harmonielehre) funny examples of "impossible" sonorities taken from Bach's Motetten by just stopping the music at the right (or wrong?) time, together with equally funny jibes against the "aestheticians", or from Mozart's symphonies (also attached).

Maybe all I'm saying here is that any such automated tool for "musical analysis" would have to be highly configurable.

Lukas