Re: bach chorales

From: Ph. Hezaine
Subject: Re: bach chorales
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 16:40:55 +0200

Le 04/06/2020 à 10:04, Urs Liska a écrit :
Hi Phil,

Am Donnerstag, den 04.06.2020, 11:52 +0200 schrieb Ph. Hezaine:
On 6/1/20, Rudi Guggt <fristu@web.de> wrote:

There are some mistakes in the titles of the Bach-Chorales. Are
you
curious, what I have found?

#9, #102, #343 and #361: Ermuntre dich, mein schwa_ch_er Geist
#45 and #370: Kommt her zu mir, spricht Gottes S_o_hn
#50: old: In allen meine_n_ Taten
#101: Herr Christ, der einge Gottes-S_o_hn
      or: Herr Christ, der ein'ge Gott's Sohn
#148: Danket dem Herrn, heu_t_ und allzeit
#150: Welt, ade! ich bin dein m_ü_de

cheers
Rudi

Hello Rudi

I take due note of your proofreading. Really relevant. Thanks.
I don't know when I will upgrade the sources to 2.21 exactly but
it's
all right!

If you are planning to update this repository I would be happy if you
could coordinate this work with what we have started on Gitlab
recently. We did not set up this repository simply because we wanted to
make your great work more accessible but to actually *build* upon it.

Concretely I want to restructure the code so the voices are
independently available and then build an infrastructure around it to
allow more flexible typesetting, e.g.

  * choosing between modern and old clefs
  * choose between real score or piano score
  * select voices to be engraved/hidden
  * allow additional analysis layers (harmonic analysis, figured bass,
    others) to be added

This will make it a terrific resource for pedagogical/academic work. I
have been lobbying for LilyPond in the musicological and music theory
communities for quite some time, and one of the main obstacles
(particularly in the latter) is the need to give them something that
can be used immediately (because the horizon of the average music
theory teacher is typically "I do have to provide material to my four
courses tomorrow"). Having a corpus like the Bach chorales readily
available seems like a really great incentive to dangle in front of
their noses. I hope to find the time to write a Frescobaldi extension
for this repertoire, maybe even with an interface for letting students
write their own solutions right into the material.

So far I have not touched the files uploaded in the Gitlab repository
because you had indicated there are some updates available or pending.
But it would be nice to know when it will be suitable to start with
substantial modifications of the input files. Maybe you could apply
your updates directly to that repository?

Best
Urs

Phil.

Hi Urs

I totally aggree with you, it's exactly the reason why I typeset the chorals. First, keep in mind the license Art Libre give you all the freedom you need but keep the license. At the time i typeset this work (2011), this license was more advanced and protective from Europe as regards to the Berne Convention and was supported by the FSF. Now it is equivalent to CC-by-SA if i'm not mistaken. Secondly, for the update, apart a few minor thinness it's the freeway (whithout toll) from 2.14.1 to 2.21 (thanks convert-ly). But I still have to do the Rudi's corrections. Not a big deal but there are several extensions of the Bach-Chorales release. Have you hear of:

J. S. BACH
*****
ETUDES D'ANAMORPHOSES :
LES DIFFÉRENTES VERSIONS
D'UN CHORAL CHANTÉ.
which is a derivative works of mine from the sources.

And as well:
"Les colles de Bach - The Bach's School (You've got me, there)"
for GNU Solfege.
released under Free Art License.

All these releases aim to pedagogical uses. May be you'll be interested.

I don't know how to use Gitlab and i'm not in a good condition for now.
May be I can send you (privately) the sources-ly and midis when updated and fell free to do your free thinking. Let me tell you in passing that, amazingly enough, i never cease to be surprising of the brilliant creativity (invention) of Bach at the service of an invention (fiction). (Its not a troll).

P.S.
May be it will be more difficult (perhaps impossible) to update the whole pdf done with latex.
Be patient and keep me up-to-date.
Cheers.
Phil.