Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solo

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solos, desks etc.
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 20:54:14 +0200

I am thinking of sharing my experiences as a user in this field by contributing a tutorial or a practical experiences story (or whatever) on this topic. It would make a distinction between:

1) temporary staves
2) divisi allocation over groups of staves

since these are different concepts, and they are handled differently by the Lilypond user, although both depend on keepAliveInterfaces.

And I could contribute a bit on techniques to have >2 voices per staff, rhythmically homophonic or rhythmically polyphonic, especially in the context of divisi staves.

What would be the best venue for this? Lilypond docs? User list? Scores of Beauty? If it gets into the Lilypond docs, it is there to "stay forever" which would be nice.

One elaborate example of my experiences is found in the score and parts of "3 Bruchstücke aus Wozzeck" by Alban Berg, see https://imslp.org/wiki/Wozzeck%2C_Op.7_(Berg%2C_Alban) (travel to the tab [Arrangements and Transcriptions]). One can have a look at e.g. the Violins I part, mvt. 1, Bars 396-404; there is a 5-fold divisi which is folded into one staff in the full score. Or practically any instrument group, for that matter.

Rutger