Re: AW: Are Lilyponds beams thick enough?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: AW: Are Lilyponds beams thick enough?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 11:02:10 +0200

On 5/26/20, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> 0.5 would likely result more often in beam thicknesses getting rounded
> up sometimes, down at other times, making for an uneven look after
> digitisation.

You’re right in theory, but that doesn’t sound like a convincing
argument within the LilyPond ideological framework. See for example
the debate we had in late 2007 for using slightly rounded barlines so
that music scores would appear more nicely in many PDF viewers; that
was dismissed by Han-Wen because the point of LilyPond is to produce
good print quallity, not to compromise and accommodate improper
software implementations.

If really needed, it could be .4999 or .500001 or anything, but
Valentin’s (heeyyyy) point stands: .48 is perceptibly thinner than
most engraving practices. (I actually like his example of .55 much
more than I’d have expected myself to.)

Valentin (heyy), your question has actually been asked in the past for
what it’s worth:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-01/msg00265.html

Cheers,
-- (other) V.