Re: registering a composition

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: registering a composition
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 00:08:29 +0000

On 5/23/20, 2:46 PM, "antlists" <address@hidden> wrote:

On 22/05/2020 13:26, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>> IIUC, CC licences aim to protect against others making money from
>> your work.  How is "ASCAP not being happy" related to that?
>>

> >Unless I'm mistaken, LilyPond (GNU) and CC belong to the "eco-system"
> >where sharing is the norm (to enhance the common cultural pool) while
> >making it hard for "free-riders".  Using the tools offered by that alternate
>> system, and then bow to the arguments of those who smear it seems a
>> contradiction.
>>
> You're correct that GNU and CC belong to the eco-system where sharing is
> the norm, but NEITHER have any objection to others making making money
> (yes they do both object to free-riders).
>
> CC has an *optional* clause that forbids commercial activity (I use it
> on my photos), and GNU forbids charging for THE SOFTWARE.

Actually, GNU allows charging for the software.  From the Preamble to the GNU
GPL:

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our
General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to
distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish)"

Carl