Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 13:46:25 -0500

On Thu 14 May 2020 at 10:38:59 (+0200), Hans Åberg wrote:
> > On 14 May 2020, at 03:38, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I can't say that I've met
> > English speakers in either the UK or US who use b and h for Bflat and B.
> > Under what circumstances do you hear it: amateur choirs and orchestral
> > players, professionals, or in academic duscussions of German music?
>
> In general, there is a divide in musical notation in Europe, one is Germany,
> and to the north and south and east, and the other, the countries to the
> west, France, England, etc.
>
> One difference is the note names, H and B in the Germanic tradition [1], and
> J.S. Bach used it [2].

Thank you, very useful.

On Thu 14 May 2020 at 07:45:23 (-0500), David Nalesnik wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > ! hear it a lot in the US.  (And it's often correlated with losing
> > > sight of the key signature...)
> >
> > Assuming ! stands for "I" and not negation, I can't say that I've met
> > English speakers in either the UK or US who use b and h for Bflat and B.
> > Under what circumstances do you hear it: amateur choirs and orchestral
> > players, professionals, or in academic duscussions of German music?
>
> Hi David Wright,
>
> Once again the name "David" rears its head!  You are mixing my
> response with David Kastrup's

I think I would have as much difficulty doing that as my email client would.

AIUI David Kastrup lives in Germany, in b/h land, but without any
context, I don't know whether this meant that he thought
English-speaking LilyPond users were steeped in the Germanic
tradition, or just being polite¹, confused², confusing³, or
just plain incompetent (perhaps implied by "strange habit").

Wol gave these "b" people the benefit of the doubt as being "b/h"
people (but why was the American tongue mentioned?).

When you, David Nalesnik, wrote "! hear it a lot in the US",
I wondered where, specifically. I think the main difference
over here is note and rest lengths. As you might gather from
the combination of my email domain and my timezone (and yours),
I take an interest in such differences, even if only as
post-rehearsal pub-chat⁴.

So I was perplexed by your post about my mixing up your response with
David K's. Perhaps you might explain the referent of "it", if it's
not ‘calling a b-flat "b"’.

¹ When in Rome …
² Accidentally switching between bf/b and b/h inappropriately.
³ Calling notes by staff position without regard to key signature.
⁴ Assuming we sing again and pubs are still in business.

Cheers,
David.