Re: horziontal spacing in chants

From: Christian Masser
Subject: Re: horziontal spacing in chants
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 15:41:24 +0200

Hi Pierre,

this is even better! Thank you very, very much! Somehow this snippet had escaped my research.

All the best
Christian

Am Fr., 8. Mai 2020 um 14:27 Uhr schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden>:
Hi Christian,
See also: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=973
Cheers,
Pierre

Le ven. 8 mai 2020 à 14:14, Christian Masser <address@hidden> a écrit :
Thank you very much!

That was exactly, what I was looking for! As I've only got one chant to transcribe, the time it takes to tweak every single melisma is no problem. :)

All the best
Christian

Am Do., 7. Mai 2020 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:
On 5/7/20, Christian Masser <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am currently working on my Master thesis and would like to show parts of
> gregorian chants in modern notation for comparison purposes.

Greetings, good luck for your thesis!

> Is it possible to get the note heads even closer together, so that they are
> kind of glued together? Probably someone did this before but I wasn't able
> to find it yet.

Well for once, you could use \omit rather than \hide, since with \hide
the graphical objects still take up horizontal space. Next you can
shrink the NoteHead object’s horizontal extent (rather than the
BarLine), but the results will look quite ugly quite fast,
particularly with regard to the lyrics:

%%%%

spiritus = \relative {
  \time 1/4
  \override Lyrics.LyricText.X-extent  = #'(0 . 3)
  d'4 \tuplet 3/2 { f8 a g } g a a4 g f8 e
  d4 f8 g g8 d f g a g f4 g8 a a4  s
  \tuplet 3/2 { g8 f d } e f g a g4
}

spirLyr = \lyricmode {
  Spi -- ri -- _ _ tus  _ Do -- mi -- ni  _ re -- ple -- _ vit _
  or -- _ bem _  ter -- ra -- _ rum, al -- _ _ le -- _ lu
  -- _ ia.
}
\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "chant" \spiritus
    \new Lyrics = "one" \lyricsto "chant" \spirLyr

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      %\override BarLine.X-extent = #'(-1 . 1)
      \omit Stem
      \omit Beam
      \omit BarLine
      \omit TupletNumber
      \override NoteHead.X-extent = #'(-0.1 . 0.1)

%%%%

Cheers,
-- V.