Re: Stanzas with different rhythms

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Stanzas with different rhythms
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:14:43 -0400

> On 3 May, 2020, at 3:57 PM, Caio Barros <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Personally I tend to use explicit durations (no \lyricsto) in complex cases
> like this, but a workaround would be simply:

I’m avoiding explicit durations in this project because each set of words can
be set to multiple possible tunes.  These tunes may have the same meter (number
of syllables per phrase) but not necessarily the same rhythm (indeed, at least
one alternative is usually a chant setting while at least one is measured).
Explicit durations would mean having separate copies of the same lyrics for
each tune, something I’m trying to avoid.

Indeed, your workaround suffers from a similar problem, as that empty syllable
isn’t needed in the other melody.

> I guess what is happening here is that when you switch to the previous voice
> LilyPond will just align the next syllable to the next note in voice you
> switched to, ignoring the duration of the previous syllable.

Hmm… If that’s true, then what I need is a way of timing the \unset command to
happen 1/8 later for this melody.  Controlling when commands occur in time
makes me think of the Edition Engraver, which I’ve always meant to come to
terms with.  Perhaps this is the song which finally forces me down that route.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE