Re: Lilypond requires Python2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Lilypond requires Python2
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 18:20:06 +0200

Am Samstag, den 02.05.2020, 17:41 +0200 schrieb Martin Neubauer:
> On 02/05/2020 09:53, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > The scripts and build system in 2.20 just don't work with Python 2. I
> > was against applying the port in the past, and I stand by that opinion.
> > I simply don't think it's feasible to apply the ~50 patches that were
> > developed against master long after stable/2.20 was branched.
>
> Thanks for giving your opinion so clearly. Each of the changes in
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=bc8a3fa7e4f12bf5ac1eb0293bfab658d52c4ae8
>
> did look fairly trivial by itself, but the number of files touched made
> me very reluctant to just go about it.

This is only the very final commit that switched to Python 3. There is
a plethora of patches that touched python/ and scripts/:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/log/python?qt=author&q=Jonas+Hahnfeld
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/log/scripts?qt=author&q=Jonas+Hahnfeld
(and of course more by other authors)

You'd need all of this plus changes in the build system like
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/aclocal.m4?id=6303b99fa9278d5fca51f19215ff626ed78dbd1e

It's likely that half of it doesn't even apply cleanly.

Jonas