[Off-topic] A question about opera scores

From: Daniel Rosen
Subject: [Off-topic] A question about opera scores
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 23:58:39 +0000

I just sent the following question in an email to my local orchestra's[1] music
director[2]-he has a side gig with a small opera company a few towns over[3],
and I wanted an opera conductor's opinion. Reposting here to see if there are
any opera conductors on this list, just in case he's unable to get back to me
for some reason. :-)

> I am in the midst of engraving a full opera score, and my question is this:
> do you as a conductor
> prefer to see the vocal parts above the strings, or within the strings
> (between the violas and
> cellos)? Elaine Gould's Behind Bars (generally accepted as the definitive
> reference work on music
> notation) prescribes the former for mixed-forces works in general, but is
> silent about opera
> scores specifically; and most of the random sampling of scores that I've
> looked at on IMSLP have
> the latter.

DR

[1] https://philorch.org