Re: Feed list of strings into markup command expecting markuplist?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Feed list of strings into markup command expecting markuplist?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:09:30 +0200

Hi David,
What is the scheme way to construct a markup list (out of a list of
strings, for example) that can be passed to a markup command?
A list of strings is a markup list.  However, not every markup list is a
list of strings, so you might be on the safer side by using markup list
processing commands rather than string processing commands.
Yes, sure. In my use case, the function-taking-markup-list (where I simply used string-concatenate) is "given by the opponent", so to speak...
That's more a case of
     Known issues and warnings

     The markup-list argument of commands such as ‘#:line’, ‘#:center’, and
     ‘#:column’ cannot be a variable or the result of a function call.

          (markup #:line (function-that-returns-markups))

     is invalid.  One should use the ‘make-line-markup’,
     ‘make-center-markup’, or ‘make-column-markup’ functions instead,

          (markup (make-line-markup (function-that-returns-markups)))

Aaaargh. I _knew_ I was missing something fundamental. Thanks much!

Best
Lukas