Re: Minimal horizontal space for melismata

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Minimal horizontal space for melismata
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 01:30:21 -0700 (MST)

Peter Crighton wrote
> Side question: Is there a shorter/nicer way to hide/omit all those things
> in the RhythmicStaff?

Hi Peter,

For rhythmic alignment without noteheads, beams, accidentals, etc. consuming
space, the relatively new
*  NullVoice*
has been invented.

This, however, still doesn't quite solve your problem yet as other elements
still take up horizontal space.

I've come to a solution that works with your example, but, I'll have to
admit that if it had been "i -- met" instead of "a -- met", a tiny gap after
the slim letter "i" still couldn't have been avoided that way.

In addition to using NullVoice, I've set proportionalNotationDuration on
Staff level to a high value to achieve narrow spacing.

And I've set ChordName.X-extent to zero.  There's the danger of overlapping
chord names, though.

%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

Chords = \chordmode {
  f16*7 a16*3:m
}
Lyric = \lyricmode {
  Lo -- rem ip -- sum do -- lor sit a -- met.
}
Melody = {
  c16 c c c c c c c( a) a
}
<<
  \new ChordNames \chordmode {
    \Chords
  }
  \new Lyrics
  \new RhythmicStaff {
    \new NullVoice = "melody" {
      \Melody
  \context Lyrics {
    \lyricsto "melody" {
      \Lyric

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 100)
  }
  \context {
    \ChordNames
    \override ChordName.X-extent = #'(0 . 0)
  }
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
  }
  \context {
    \RhythmicStaff
    \override StaffSymbol.line-count = 0
    \omit TimeSignature
    \omit BarLine

And that's how it looks like:
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/lorem-ipsum-narrow.png>

It's not perfect, but in rare cases with narrow one-character syllables, you
still might enter specific alternatives using \tag.

HTH,
Torsten

lorem-ipsum-narrow.png
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/lorem-ipsum-narrow.png>