Re: In TabVoice - how to avoid: "programming error: side-axis not set fo

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: In TabVoice - how to avoid: "programming error: side-axis not set for grob StrokeFinger"
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 03:20:07 -0700 (MST)

Werner LEMBERG wrote
> Interesting.  Is it documented somewhere that the order of `\consists`
> calls is relevant (sometimes)?

Hi Werner,

I couldn't find anything about that in the documentation.

When experimenting with Voice and TabVoice, I noticed that Voice worked
without a problem and, most notably, the fingering routines were called
before the script routines.

In *ly/engraver-init.ly*, the Voice context definition contains a comment:

[…]
  \consists "Auto_beam_engraver"
  \consists "Grace_auto_beam_engraver"

  %% must come before Script_column_engraver.
  \consists "New_fingering_engraver"

  \consists "Chord_tremolo_engraver"
  \consists "Double_percent_repeat_engraver"
[…]

TabVoice, finally, is based on Voice but with New_fingerning_engraver
removed (but Script_column_engraver still being there).
When appending it again by using "\consists…", the order is messed up.

Werner LEMBERG wrote
> Or maybe there is a bug somewhere?  I think not having to think about
> the order would be quite beneficial.

I totally agree there, but the New_fingering_engraver has been designed that
way and it's complicated enough.  It'd be great of course if someone had a
good idea how to get rid of these dependencies.

Regards,
Torsten