Re: Stop Tablature from moving up an octave

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Stop Tablature from moving up an octave
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 15:49:08 +0100

Bob Stricklin <address@hidden> writes:

> I am new to Lilypond and can not get Tablature for guitar to work like I
> think it should.
>
> The documentation indicates Lilypond will select the lowest fret and open
> strings.
>
> When I run my example below the tablature selects fret position 12 and not
> zero for three of the note groups.
> I want it to select zero for all strings played. Is there an easy solution to
> this issue?
>
> Its odd that the code works properly for one of the three note groupings.
>
> This is to represent finger picking a bass note and two other notes with
> fingers.
>
> My Simplified code input using Frescobaldi on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> song = {
>     <e,  g'\3  b\2>  <a\5 g'\3 b\2>  <d\4 g\3 b\2> <a\5 g'\3 b\2>
> }
>
>   \score {
>   <<
> %   \override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
>    \relative c'
>
>      {\song }
>    }
>
>    \new TabStaff
>
>     {\song}
>>>
> }

Looks to me like you are entering everything an octave too high.  From
\relative c' the note e, just gives e while the lowest note of a guitar
is actually e, .

You are aware that guitar notes written in treble clef sound an octave
lower than written?  "Correct" guitar notes are written using \clef
"treble_8" though a lot of notes abound not bothering spelling out the
octavation.

But LilyPond does care about the actual pitch.  Check the Midi and
compare with your instrument.

--
David Kastrup
My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating