Re: Cheat sheets and LilyPond documentation [was Re: Clef "treble_8"]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cheat sheets and LilyPond documentation [was Re: Clef "treble_8"]
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 22:38:40 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
>> Is there a source?  Or is it hand-written SVG?  If we are trying to
>> follow the spirit of the GPL, source is defined as "preferred form for
>> modification".  For a cobbled-together version, that is tricky to
>> define, but we would not want to make it harder than necessary to come
>> up with updated versions.
>
> The SVG is the source in the sense "preferred form of modification" – at
> least preferred by me :). It is created with Inkscape. I guess it could
> be done in LilyPond or TeX or sth else but probably with a similar
> amount of complexity (except some text replacement perhaps).
> Personally, I would update it via Inkscape (and export to PDF
> additionally). The cheat sheet is 8000 lines as SVG (with the line
> breaks Inkscape introduces, but you get a feeling). The spacing sheet
> 3600 lines.

Is SVG the file format Inkscape saves in?  Or is it only an export
format for it?  Either way it does not sound like the "provide the
source" vibe should be hard to meet in order to inspire followup work.

>>> Maybe this can be re-evaluated...  An alternative is to add links to
>>> to the documentation.
>>
>> Or from the web page, but then people might have a harder time finding
>> it.  We have some diagrams with arrows in our web presence if I am not
>> mistaken.  They must have been created in some kind of manner.  Of
>> course something fitting well into the Texinfo creation process would be
>> nice since we have a lot of output formats for our documentation.
>
> You mean this? http://lilypond.org/text-input.html Well, yes, there
> seems to be a place for that. I don’t know the Texinfo stuff enough to
> tell if there is a way. For the ly code of the visual index perhaps.
>
> Btw, I appreciate your friendly reaction very much.

At some point of time I have to reread the collected devastating
dissings of dreadlord David.  This is not the first helpful project
these days that has mentioned getting discouraged by the initial
reaction.

--
David Kastrup
My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating