Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 16:16:25 -0800

On 2020-01-15 3:59 pm, Paolo Prete wrote:
Hi Aaron.

It's not Y-offset that has not to be used. It's the combination \offset +
Y-offset.

\override SomeGrob.Y-offset can be used (with a ruler, in an
uncomfortably way)

\offset Y-offset is nonsense.

See my reply to Carl, and his reply to me.

I think the conclusion in that thread is wrong, in that the issue is not related to unpure-pure containers. \offset Y-offset works perfectly fine. See *my* example that demonstrates this.

The problem is that there is more going on than just Y-offset to determine where a bracket lives. Neutering \offset is not the solution.

What we really need is a clear picture of what *does* impact layout. Someone adjusting Y-offset by too small an amount would be justified thinking it is broken, but that is because there is some other factor at play. Once they know they need a larger offset to effect a change, then there is no mystery or nonsense.

If you are pushing things by small amounts akin to font kerning, then collisions are unlikely and extra-offset is often the right tool for the job.

If you need to move things by greater distances, then it is important to tweak all of the various spacing properties to ensure that collisions are avoided sufficiently well. My example shows how using outside-staff-padding can be a more effective tool than adjusting Y-offset. But in practice, you might need to do a combination of both.

-- Aaron Hill