Re: Running LilyPond on Amazon Linux 2

From: Peter Anglea
Subject: Re: Running LilyPond on Amazon Linux 2
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 17:33:45 -0500

I know I’m not the first to run LilyPond in a Lambda function. For instance, LilyBin (http://lilybin.com) has been using Lambda and S3 for a while to power their website. I took some cues from their site (which is open source on Github), but ultimately went my own route and made a custom Lambda function for my purposes.

I have started a website focused on engraving hymns for church music called Doxology. https://doxology.app. It allows users to generate custom sheet music for hymns, whether it be for piano, guitar, non-C instruments, or for projection. I use LilyPond to make the engravings which are customizable and transposable. The music files and dependencies (including LilyPond itself) are part of my Lambda function. The user customizations (ie. key signature, formatting, etc.) are fed into a Scheme evaluation that customizes the main template file for the song, if that makes sense.

Since generating a score in LilyPond takes a good bit of bandwidth, I decided to offload that portion of my site to the cloud. I estimate I may be able to generate up to 100,000 hymn scores a month without exceeding the free tier. I’m still in “beta” so we’ll see if it really works over time. But so far, I’m happy with it.