Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.1 has been released!

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.1 has been released!
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 18:17:33 +0100

Am 28.12.19 um 14:08 schrieb Ralph Palmer:
Hi, Urs -

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 3:47 AM Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Ubuntu 16.04 is a LTS release with (IIRC) five years of support. So it
is not unreasonable for someone to use it. However, we (Frescobaldi)
seem to have been hit by this five-year term since we're dealing with a
change in the Qt framework that has phased out support for a module over
(again, IIRC) 2-3 years. So all *current* Linux distributions ship with
a Qt version that only includes QtWebEngine and not QtWebKit anymore.
There has been a range of Qt versions including both.

The question is whether a project like Frescobaldi can reasonably be
expected to actively support such an old OS, even if it's LTS. I'd
assume that lTS guarantees you security patches but not that every new
software will run.

Before upgrading to a newer OS it might be an option to use a current
Qt/PyQt downloaded or compiled from somewhere. @Simon you could do us a
huge favor by exploring that possibility and providing information about
it for the Wiki.
In addition it would be good to have a list of distributions that
include the "new" module, both modules, or only the "old" modules (i.e.
won't work with Frescobaldi 3.1).

Urs

As I've said before, I'm a novice at command line Linux, but I'm attaching a screenshot of my command line search (locate) for QtWebEngine and QtWebKit. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

Hope this helps,

You should not "locate" package files but use "apt" (the package manager) for that (as Knute has also pointed out).

As I tried to say earlier you can simply follow the instructions on Frescobaldi's Wiki:

# install dependencies
sudo apt install python3-pyqt5 python3-pyqt5.qtsvg python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine python3-poppler-qt5 git

Then clone the repositories:

# clone repositories
mkdir ~/git
cd ~/git
git clone https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi
git clone https://github.com/wbsoft/python-ly

(you may change the directories if you want)

and finally create a wrapper script to properly start your Git-Frescobaldi:

# create wrapper script
# (make sure ~/bin exists and is in the search path (or adapt))
echo "#!/bin/bash" > ~/bin/frescobaldi
echo "PYTHONPATH=~/git/python-ly:$PYTHONPATH python3 ~/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi $@" >> ~/bin/frescobaldi
chmod +x ~/bin/frescobaldi

# check invocation through command line (from any working directory)
frescobaldi

HTH
Urs

Ralph