Re: Separating note names into pitch and accidentals

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Separating note names into pitch and accidentals
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 11:05:08 +0100

Am 22.12.19 um 10:51 schrieb Hans Åberg:
To simplify the writing of note input names, they might be separated into
separate parts for pitch and accidentals (or intervals). Testing this, I made
C++ code where one first reads the longest pitch name available in a table, and
then proceeds for a succession of accidentals, also the longest available in a
separate table, and it looks like nice.

I’m not sure if I understand correctly, but if I do that won’t work for all languages: In German “fes” is f-flat, while “f es” is f and e-flat, you cannot know whether “es” is the suffix “-flat” or the complete pitch name “e-flat”. And how about “feses”? That could be “f es es”, “fes es” or “f eses”.