Re: Piano pedal gradual release

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Piano pedal gradual release
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 21:49:47 +1100

Hello Phil,

I don't write this stuff, I am merely the harmless drudge that tries to engrave it!

Although I think it's somewhat stupid, I will say, speaking as somebody who has made harpsichords most of my life, and messed around with many keyboard instruments, it is possible to hear very, very small sound differences as the dampers get closer to the strings. But it's microscopic, if present at all and I doubt any audience would ever hear it. But I have seen other composers write the same thing also. I think it's a type of modernist composer shared delusion.

The things we engravers have to put up with!

Andrew