Re: Writing notes in Pythagorean tuning in microlily

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: Writing notes in Pythagorean tuning in microlily
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 08:20:48 +0000

On 23/11/2019, kupirijo <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think I found it here
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-10/msg00129.html
>
> Yes it seems to have both AEU notation and some other notation that is
> new (it cannot be HE as HE is for just notation) I will try it out anyway.

Lilypond has AEU or something like it.  I support HE for just
intonation.  It's imperfect, though, because it requires an external
font and Lilypond gets some of the spacing wrong.  Something also
tends to break with every new version of Lilypond and I'm not keeping
up.

The code is here:

https://bitbucket.org/x31eq/microlily/src/master/

but if you don't need tuned MIDI output then I don't think it will be
any use to you.

> By the way, what is a generator? Is it related to meantone temperament?

The generator in this case is the fourth or fifth.  It generates all
pitches through the spiral of fifths.

> Also in the new turkish_makam.ly, why is the Holdrian comma 1/10 of a
> whole 12-TET tone i.e. 200/10 = 20 cents? The HC is approx. 22.64 cents
> (i.e. very close to a 1/9 of a 12-TET whole tone)

If you work with "regular.ly", the "whole tone" that Lilypond
calculates its accidentals relative to is not the same as the whole
tone that will be tuned to 9:8 in just intonation.  So it's correct
that a comma will be 1/10 of a whole tone.  9:8 is a comma flat of two
sharps, and so will be 9 commas wide.

>>> I see. Who wrote regular.ly? And why is it called regular?
>> Graham Breed (added as CC). Probably because ETs are regular tunings on
>> one generator.

It's called regular because it generalizes Lilypond's tuning model
from equal temperament (12 equal divisions of the octave) to a more
general regular temperament (the spiral of fifths, or neutral thirds
if you consider half-sharps).  It's something I'd like to see included
in the standard distribution because it's fully compatible with common
practice notation, and many not-at-all-microtonal pieces will sound
acceptable (and hopefully better) in some kind of meantone
temperament.  A notation package like Lilypond that already
distinguishes enharmonic pairs is a good tool for experimenting with
this.

                       Graham