Re: Writing notes in Pythagorean tuning in microlily

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Writing notes in Pythagorean tuning in microlily
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 14:50:21 +0100

> On 23 Nov 2019, at 12:12, kupirijo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I am aware of that. I am a proponent of 53-TET as I play Ottoman Music as
> well as Greek Traditional Music.
>
> It is just I wanted to notate in one LaTeX document side by side both ways,
> i.e. one with the syntonic comma (natural with arrow) and one with the
> Holdrian comma (backwards flat in AEU notation)

LilyPond works so that it computes the accidental value as a rational number,
and then selects the glyph from that. So if you want them side by side in the
same musical example, they must have different rational values. And the problem
with that is that in common tunings such as E53, they end up with the same
value.

If you write a book, and they are in different examples, that should work, but
somebody here will have to tune in on how to do that.

> I am not necessarily interested in MIDI output.

Then you might use E72, as LilyPond can handle multiples of 12 without the
regular.ly file.

Adam Good has made a rather comprehensive Turkish makam file, about to appear
in LilyPond 2.20, so you might check that one out.