Re: Reusing score music for parts

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Reusing score music for parts
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 14:10:36 +0100

Am 14.11.19 um 13:18 schrieb Dartme:
bobroff@centrum.isReply Mar 12, 2012; 10:34am said the following: "My usual practice is to write all the definitions (musical information) in one file.  Then I write other files for the score and parts.  You can "include" a file in another file.  This has the advantage that when you make edits in your "definitions" file they propagate to all the scores (parts) the next time you process them."

I have a full score and am creating parts. In the parts, I would like to have markup "verse 1", etc. Is there any way to do that without modifying music variables?

Yes, but to get there you'd have to be more explicit about what you actually want.

I have \versetwomusic ^"Verse 2"  but lilypond says, "Unexpected token, ^".

This tries to attach a markup to a (complete) music expression, which is not possible. A markup can either be attached to a musical element (a note/rest) or defined as a top-level item between scores.

If you only want to state "Verse 2" as a sort of heading for that part you could do

\markup "Verse 2"

\versetwomusic

with arbitrarily complex arrangements.

Anything else will also be possible, but only when knowing what you're really after.

Urs

So I'll need to put my markup *inside* \versetwomusic ? That means it will be in the score and in the parts which is undesirable.

What is the best way to deal with this situation? I guess what would be great is if I could put markup in the part like ^\markup{ \for"part"  "Verse 1 }  and somehow only show that markup in the part.