Re: Makefile help!

From: karl
Subject: Re: Makefile help!
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:04:40 +0200 (CEST)

> Karl Hammar wrote
> > Where have you found that?
>
> In the LilyPond documentation:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/make-and-makefiles

Ok, that Makefile has a VPATH which makes sure make finds the pdf's,
but the MIDI directory is missing in the VPATH.

> So I guess the problem is because of the rule you pointed out. I'm really
> unfamiliar with make and how this works, I just thought it was a good idea
> to copy the one in the documentation. Apparently not!

You have to be careful with inital spaces and tabs.

> Karl Hammar wrote
> > mv *versionA* folder
> > for i in A B C D; do mv *version$i*.pdf PDF/version$i; done
>
> Thanks for the idea. I will look into that, but if I understand correctly, I
> have to launch the command separately from the Makefile?

Well, any command can be run from the makefile.

> The idea was to include everything in it...

An example is an example, it gives you a hint of a possible use, but
you still have to understand how it works.

> But since I obviously have to change the
> beginning of my Makefile and get rid of the "%.pdf %.midi: %.ly", I will
> maybe find a better solution to move the file to their according directories
> with make.

Well, that line will work if you include a suitable VPATH assignment.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar