Re: VLC versions was Re:Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: VLC versions was Re:Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:19:32 +0100

On 19/10/2019 13:24, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> Am 2019-10-19 um 13:55 schrieb Bill via lilypond-user <address@hidden>:
>>

>> this is what I get on command line when I type
>> vlc --version:
>>
>> VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
>>
>> I'm on Linux Mint 18.? can I really be that far behind.  I did try to import
>> a midi file and it couldn't play it nor could it export it as an mp3.
>
> Current version is 3.0.8, see videolan.org
>
> from https://wiki.videolan.org/Midi/:
> """
> VLC media player can play Standard MIDI File (.MID) and RIFF MIDI (.RMI)
> files since version 0.9.0.
> Windows binary builds included MIDI support only in versions VLC media player
> from 1.1.0 through 2.0.8. Starting from version 2.1.0, support was dropped
> due to security issues. It was re-activated in VLC 3.0.0.
>
> Linux
> If the FluidSynth codec is not shown in VLC's preferences, you have to
> install it as well as sound fonts. E.g. on Ubuntu 18.04 and derivatives it is
> in the vlc-plugin-fluidsynthpackage, while the fluid-soundfont-gs and
> fluid-soundfont-gm packages install some sound fonts in /usr/share/sounds/sf2.
> """
>

>> 7.7    VLC from the usual sources does not work (in fact crashes some
>> updates).
>> 8.0    VLC is not available.
>
> Don’t know where those come from.
>
> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> fiëé visuëlle
> Henning Hraban Ramm
> https://www.fiee.net

My original posting of 18/10/2019, 23:14 said:
--------------------%<-----------------------------
Anyone planning on using VLC on Fedora, RHEL or CentOS needs to checkout
the current situation.  For RHEL/CentOS AIUI:

7.7     VLC from the usual sources does not work (in fact crashes some updates).
8.0     VLC is not available.

There is a VLC available through flatpack, but I've not used it (so
therefore cannot comment), but have seen warnings that it will pull in
up to 1.2 GiB of other packages including the complete KDE implementation.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS

JMR