Re: Help with String Orchestra Template Please

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Help with String Orchestra Template Please
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 00:08:37 +0200

Hi Reggie,

there’s a really neat way of setting this up so that Lily will even be free to choose line breaks, but extra staves are only shown where necessary:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.83"

\paper { #(set-paper-size "a7") indent = 0 }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \RemoveAllEmptyStaves

vlIA = \repeat unfold 24 g4

\addQuote vlICommon \vlIA

vlIB = {
  \set Staff.keepAliveInterfaces = #'()
  \quoteDuring vlICommon s1*3
  \unset Staff.keepAliveInterfaces
  \repeat unfold 4 gis4
  \set Staff.keepAliveInterfaces = #'()
  \quoteDuring vlICommon s1*2
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \vlIA
    \new Staff \vlIB

}

I hope this gives you enough to go on. If you need specific instrumentNames for the divisi staves, however, you need to specify break points and use \set Staff.instrumentName at those moments.

Please ask again if you need more hints.

Best, Simon