Re: percussion notation standard in Lilypond

From: Ben
Subject: Re: percussion notation standard in Lilypond
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 11:59:19 -0400

On 10/4/2019 8:23 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Hello all,

(very) long time not been here.

I'm engraving some drum scores for kids and it seems their teacher is using another notation standard than Lilypond, zo I looked it up on wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_notation ) and it seems indeed that there are two 'standards' for percussion notation.

One apparently less used from Peckman, Jonathan (2007) (Picture Yourself Drumming, p.46. ISBN 1-59863-330-9), and one based on the recommendations of the Percussive Arts Society found in Norman Weinberg’s Guide To Standardized Drumset Notation (2002, ISBN 0-9664928-1-1).

(I'm just copying here from wikipedia.)

It seems Lilypond uses neither one, as shown by the hi-hat which it positions between the 4th and 5th staff line, whereas both wikipedia examples, *and* the kids' teacher, position the hi-hat a half line higher (on the 5th line).

My question is now which standard Lilypond is using and why, and is it authoritative enough to try to bugger the teacher into switching to it? (I don't really mean to bugger him, rather some kind of trying to convince him that it's better for the kids to learn a notation 'that everyone is using'.)

If those 3 standards are all acceptable, wouldn't it be better if a Lilipond engraver were able to choose which standard to use in his piece?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello,

I don't know much about the history of LilyPond's percussion "standard" but could you do something like this to configure it how you wish? Make this as "modern" as you'd like? :) I've never had to do this but I remember saving it from a while back...

#(define moderndrums '(
      (acousticbassdrum () #f -3)
      (bassdrum () #f -3)
      (sidestick cross #f 1)