Re: Producing scores for visually impaired and blind people

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Producing scores for visually impaired and blind people
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 00:13:15 +1000

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 23:38, Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9/14/2019 8:32 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
> > That's not "learning by ear" but "playing by ear".
>
> Ah, I can only imagine...
>
> "Here's a recording of the Tallis Scholars doing 'Spem In Alium.' Your
> job is to lean the Baritone 6 part from it. Go."
> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA

I know two blind people who used to sing in choirs that sang a lot of music so needed good reading skills. They would get their music transcribed into braille by volunteers from the local society for blind people. They would read the music with one hand and the lyrics with the other, and at critical points a colleague would tap their shoulder to give them the conductor’s beat. One choral line is not really a musically complicated thing compared to keyboard music, and it all worked very well.

It looks like if you can get music into musicXML format you can convert that to braille. There must be more of this going on these days.

Vaughan