Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:30:13 +0200

> Am 2019-09-13 um 19:15 schrieb Allan Kinnaird via lilypond-user
> <address@hidden>:
>
> Apologies if this is an inappropriate forum to raise this question, but I am
> a Lilypond user wanting to to continue using Lilypond.
> Apple flagged on the release of Mojave that it would be the last version of
> OS X to support 32-bit applications, and the indications are that Catalina
> will only operate with 64-bit applications.
> On a system analysis, Lilypond is the only significant application I have
> still showing as 32-bit.
> Is anyone working on a Catalina compilation of Lilypond? If so, when might
> the package be posted?
> I am willing to try compiling from source, in spite of recommendations
> against on the website.
> I know there may be problems - the website provides suggestions for compiling
> using dependencies from MacPorts, while experience has guided me away from
> MacPorts. I use Homebrew as my main package manager, and it does not play
> well with MacPorts.

In my experience (on OSX 10.9.5 and Mojave), you can’t install Lilypond and
Frescobaldi with HomeBrew, but quite easily with MacPorts (lilypond-devel and
frescobaldi-devel).
For other applications HomeBrew might be better.
In principle these systems shouldn’t interfere with each other… (Worked for me
while I didn’t try to compile other software against libraries installed with
one of those.)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle