Re: workflow advice: avoiding wrong octave errors?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: workflow advice: avoiding wrong octave errors?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 19:55:58 -0400

Hi Mason,

> I thought of that, but my worry is that I'll still make octave errors,
> but each will result in one transposed note instead of a transposed
> phrase, which might be even less apparent than proofreading.

That is a concern…

> I also find relative note entry to be more intuitive and human readable.

You can always use \fixed.  =)

> Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I got used to it though.

That was certainly my experience — after nearly a decade of using \relative
(despite *many* frustrations around transposing instruments, introduction of
octavation errors via copy-and-paste, etc.), I moved to absolute, and within
about 6 months, I was shocked that I ever worked any other way.

> What's your experience with MIDI entry?

In Frescobaldi, it is quite smooth — essential to my workflow, really.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info