Re: seeing attachments

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: seeing attachments
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:30:04 -0500

On Mon 22 Jul 2019 at 23:55:35 (+0000), Lilypond-User wrote:
>  thank you Karlin for the detailed reply
> My Operating system is

… irrelevant.

>  I am just clicking on the links in the digests that this question and
> answers came in
> lilypond-user Digest, Vol 200, Issue 60

Then, as you can see from my more detailed reply, you either have to
(a) browse the archives on the web site or (b) subscribe to the list
in a slightly different manner.

> […] did NOT work for me:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/attachments/20190718/237e8abe/attachment.png
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/attachments/20190718/32ad152b/attachment.html
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/attachments/20190626/f3b5f9ff/attachment.html

These *were* attachments. Notice the nonce strings (237e8abe, etc),
which were generated on the fly, to point to the attachments. If you
go to the corresponding web page, you'll find the actual attachment
but with its correct URL (else you wouldn't see it!) which uses a
differently generated nonce string, with a different format, eg:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-07/pngaidFgtkyly.png

But there's no way to get from one nonce string to the other as
they're pseudo-random.

> this one you gave did work for me:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-07/msg00184.html
> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=784
> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/html/contributing.html
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

These are not attachments, they're just URLs which people have put in
their posts, and so they're (generally) correct.

I hope this helps.

The fix(es):

----- (a)

The example given by Karlin used method (a) where you browse starting at

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-07/threads.html

which gives you a time-reversed list of this month's posts. As you're
running linux, you might like to script this using someting like
  "http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/$(date +%Y-%m)/threads.html"
which will always give you the current month.

----- (b)

But if you don't mind the increased size of messages, you could use (b).
If you go to the badly designed web page where you probably originally
subscribed

and scroll right to the bottom, under the section with the heading
  "lilypond-user Subscribers
   (The subscribers list is only available to the list administrator.)"

you can fill in your email address and get to your options
page. Alternatively, you should be able to get there
directly with

  https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/options/lilypond-user/localpart%40yourdomain

where localpart@yourdomain is your email address. (You need your
lilypond-user password.)

Then go to the section
  "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests?"
  "Your mail reader may or may not support MIME digests. In general
   MIME digests are preferred, but if you have a problem reading them,
   select plain text digests."

and click on MIME.

Then click "Submit your changes" at the bottom.

Cheers,
David.