Re: I don't understand this output

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: I don't understand this output
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 10:22:56 +0200

Am Sa., 20. Juli 2019 um 08:29 Uhr schrieb james via lilypond-user
<address@hidden>:

> Hello, I don't understand why this results in the output it does.
> I wanted to have the second voice instantiated in the beginning because it is
> used later and I would like to have the lyrics align vertically.
> Alternatively, I thought to use \addlyrics after each little section of
> lyrics, but the polyphony is skewed after that.
> Is the only possibility to use spacer rests?
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \score {
>    <<
>       \new Staff <<
>          \new Voice = "testII" { s1*2 }
>          \new Voice = "testI" \relative c'' {
>                c4 b <<{\voiceOne d8 b } \context Voice = "testII" {\voiceTwo
> a4} \context Lyrics = "testIIText" \lyricsto "testII" \lyricmode { di } >>
> \oneVoice>

The ">" at \oneVoice> above prevents the example from compiling with
every ly-version.
Please check before posting ;)

>                f4 e d c
>          }
>       >>
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "testI" \lyricmode { du du da da du dum dum dum
> dum }
>    >>
>    \layout {}
> }
>
> \score {
>    <<
>       \new Staff {
>          \new Voice = "testI" \relative c'' {
>             c4 b <<{\voiceOne d8 b } \new Voice = "testII" {\voiceTwo a4}
> \new Lyrics = "testIIText" \lyricsto "testII" \lyricmode { di } >> \oneVoice
> g4
>             f4 e d c
>          }
>       }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "testI" \lyricmode { du du da da du dum dum dum
> dum }
>    >>
>    \layout {}
> }
>
> \score {
>    <<
>       \new Staff <<
>          \new Voice = "testI" \relative c'' {
>             c4 b \voiceOne d8 b \oneVoice g4
>             f4 e \voiceOne a8 g \oneVoice c,4
>          }
>          \new Voice = "testII" \relative c'' {
>             \voiceTwo
>             s2 a4 s4
>             s2 d,4 s4
>          }
>       >>
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "testI" \lyricmode { du du da da du dum dum dum
> dum }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "testII" \lyricmode { di dee }
>    >>
>    \layout {}
> }

Anyway, I can't explain the (buggy) 2.18.2-behaviour.
Though, more recent versions compile correctly (after removing the ">"
and running convert-ly)

Thus I'd recommend to use 2.19.83 (the most recent one)
If you need to stay with 2.18.2 I've found below working:

\version "2.18.2"

\score {
   <<
      \new Staff <<
         \new Voice = "testII" { \voiceTwo s1*2 }
         \new Voice = "testI"
           \relative c'' {
               c4 b
               <<
                      { \voiceOne d8 b }
                      \context Voice = "testII" { a4 }

               \oneVoice

               f4 e
               <<
                      { \voiceOne a8 g }
                      \context Voice = "testII" { d4 }

               c4

         }

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "testI" \lyricmode { du du da da du dum
dum dum dum }
      \context Lyrics = "testIIText" \lyricsto "testII" \lyricmode { di dee }

   \layout {}

  Harm