Re: Aesthetics question -- how would you typeset this?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Aesthetics question -- how would you typeset this?
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 06:20:53 +0200

Am 03.07.19 um 05:54 schrieb Evan Driscoll:
I've got a couple measures that I'm struggling to even figure out what I want the result from Lilypond to be. I've pasted the snippet below. As picky connoisseurs of good notation, I'm wondering what other people would do or like to see. :-) I'm leaning toward the second option but am uncertain.

Important question: What instrument(s) will play this? Is this from a part or a full score?

     { s4^"The default, but melody 'lost' in the other visual noise" }

Looks fine IMO.

    { s4^"I like this more but is forcing the stems departing too much from standard practice?" }

This needs too much space on the lower side. IMO that departs too much.

    { s4^"This also works well but this is an area already with tons of clef changes and this adds two more"}

What instrument(s) is this for? Piano/harp/violin(s)/…: NO! They don’t know that clef. Bassoons/cello(s): Yes, use treble clef only if really necessary (in most cases); either this or the first solution is fine. Trombones: YES! AFAIK they don’t know treble clef.

   r4^"I don't like this but for completeness..."

Piano? → depends on whether this should be played with one (big) or two hands. Two instruments/divisi: Maybe better than the first solution. One or unisonon violins: the first solution is better.