Re: How do I change the size of lyric text?

From: Gregory Hollands
Subject: Re: How do I change the size of lyric text?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 19:35:57 -0400

Abraham,

I make a lot of lead sheets, and I do the following:

%%%
\version "2.19"

\layout {
  \override LyricText #'font-size = #2
}

Chords = \chordmode {
  c2 e2:m
}

Music = \relative c' {
  c4 d4 e4 f4
}

Lyrics = \lyricmode {
  Do re me fa
}

<<
  \new ChordNames { \Chords }
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "Verse" { \Music }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "Verse" { \Lyrics }

%%%

You can add multiple lyrics to the same music -- for multiple verses. And when there are slight rhythmic variation that you don't want to notate, you can use \new NullVoice to add a hidden voice to an existing staff, as shown below.

%%%
<<
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "VerseA" { \MusicA }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "VerseA" { \LyricsA }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "VerseA" { \LyricsB }
    \new NullVoice = "VerseC" { \MusicC }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "VerseC" { \LyricsC }

%%%

Best Regards,
Gregory Hollands