Re: python3-ly reformat in vim

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: python3-ly reformat in vim
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 15:46:24 +1000

Hi Werner,

Interesting. I'll have some investigation. But close enough is good enough for me. In the majority of cases in my work, no lines are added or deleted, so I end up back very close.

Thanks!

Andrew

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 15:32, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]  Note that, as with all code tidying programs, you can only
> return the cursor to approximately the same position, as lines may
> be added of deleted.

Are you sure about that?  In Emacs, I can set a marker property that
`sticks' to a given character.  As long as this character is not
deleted, it is possible to return to exactly that character,
regardless of its new position in the buffer after text manipulation.
I guess vim has a similar functionality...