Re: Non-integer tempo marking

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Non-integer tempo marking
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 18:42:02 +1100

Hi Pang,

This won't help for MIDI, as has been pointed out, but you did not specify that.

Here's my function for metronome marks, which allows you to use notes in them. I have a whole bunch of related functions, some with boxes, some with additional text parameters and so on. You can obviously put any number you like in here. [I have edited this a little, because I use custom had made fonts for notes and I just deleted all that for this example to help, so it may not be quite so beautiful as in my own context.]

I am pretty sure every man and his dog is going to criticise the idea of a metro mark of 72.5, as players, if this is for humans, can't attain that accuracy. No metronome I have, mechanical or digital, will let me set a fractional tempo. Just saying.

Andrew

%=====

metroMark =
#(define-event-function (duration arg y-offset)
   (ly:duration? markup? (number? 0))
   #{
     ^\markup
     {
       %\with-color #(x11-color 'grey50)
       \raise #y-offset \concat {
         {
           \score {
             \new Staff \with {
               \remove "Staff_symbol_engraver"
               \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
               \remove "Clef_engraver"
             }
             { \relative c'' { \stemUp \omit Accidental c$duration } }
             \layout {
               indent = 0
               ragged-right = ##t
         \sans \fontsize #-1 #arg